Even worse, we are the parents!!
Norman Bendroth’s book Interim Ministry in Action: A Handbook for Churches in Transition, is regrettably out of print. Chapter 1 documents things we may have been seeing but not saying out loud:
- The US demographics are changing. Families are smaller, and multi-culturalism has skyrocketed, particularly in Wake County.
- American Civil religion no longer supports churches. The postwar attendance boom has waned.
- The cultural is heterogeneous.
- The crisis of authority has weakened the trust in the church.
- More and more people are calling themselves “spiritual but not religious”.
- People are viewing the world through a new set of glasses.
- We live in a post-Christian, postmodern world. Newcomers may have very little grounding in the faith.
The author does have a number of prescriptions for the future of the church, so take a read at this interesting perspective using the link below.