MIRACLES OF JESUS
This lesson plan is copyrighted and belongs to the Kirk of Kildaire Presbyterian,
Cary North Carolina. It may be used for non-profit uses only.
HOLYWOOD This workshop will last 45 minutes.
SCRIPTURE: Healing Jairus daughter and the woman with the flow of blood (Mark 5:21-43) Memory Verse: Mark 5:34 And he said to her, Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace, and be healed of your disease. (See also Matt. 9:18-26 and Luke 8:40-56)
OBJECTIVES: The children will understand Gods and Jesus compassion.
The children will grow in understanding that Jesus did not his own work,
The children will be able to retell the story of these miracles of Jesus.
CONCEPT: Define miracle for children (miracle - a wonderful event which shows us the power of God, or an especially vivid moment when as a result of an unexpected and surprising event, one becomes aware of the presence and power or God at work).
The children will enjoy the movie and the snack and visually see the miracle as well as hearing the story.
1. Welcome the kids. Open the time with prayer. In your prayer, thank God for each person gathered there and ask God to open your ears and eyes that you might all see/hear/experience Gods awesome power. If you are not comfortable using your own prayer, find one in a resource book in library, ask someone to write one for you to use.
2. Make sure you know each childs name and use their names when speaking with them. You may want to have each child introduce themselves in a game appropriate for HOLYWOOD.
For example: Hi, my name is ______________and my favorite movie is _____________.
3. Introduce the bible lesson. You may choose to tell the story, read the scripture from your bible, have kids find bible passage and you read it, have kids find it and volunteer to read it, have it written on scroll and read it, have it printed out in large print for all to read together - you choose how you feel is best for you and your teaching style. What method best suits the story? How old are the kids?
Whatever method of introducing the bible lesson you choose, it is recommended that you use either the New Revised Standard Version or Contemporary English Version.
4. Go over theater behavior. How do we act at the movies? What do we like to eat at the movies? Devise best method for handing out popcorn. (small bags filled with individual portions, reusable plastic containers that can be filled and washed, paper cups filled with popcorn..) You may have time to have kids watch you make popcorn and pop it, or you may not! It depends on what sort of popcorn machine we have and how long it takes. This will need to be worked out once we have the equipment in house!
5. Show the video Miracles of Jesus video from Nest Entertainment - the portion that has this story. You will need to preview the video and have it preset to this story.
6. Discuss the video. Ask questions like the ones below. Be sure to include both fact recall type questions and questions that ask the kids what they think (higher level thinking type questions). There are no right answers to those questions, but there are to fact recall questions.
a. Who did Jesus heal in the story?
b. Which of the two Jesus healed asked him to heal her?
c. Who was Jarius? Was he an important person?
d. How do you think Jarius felt when Jesus stopped to speak with the other woman?
e. What did Jesus say to the woman about how she had been healed?
What did Jesus say to Jarius?
f. Are people healed today?
Questions will need to be tailored to the age of children you will have. More fact recall questions for younger kids and more higher level thinking questions for older kids. HOWEVER, be sure to ask each group BOTH types of questions. You will need to preview the video section on this story to write the best fact recall questions.
7. Review the memory verse. What does Jesus mean by your faith has made you well. Wasnt it Jesus who made her well. Her faith in what/who made her well?
8. Clean up popcorn containers and have kids pick up popcorn that might be on the floor.
9. Have kids put either a stamp from your workshop, a sticker or a small item ( picture of two woman or sticker of a girl?) in their journal to help them remember where they went and what the workshop was about. This is to help them when they do their journal writing at the end of the day.
Close with a prayer. For example: Dear God, we thank you for the Bible and for the wonderful stories of your love for us. We thank you for Jesus and for giving Jesus the power to heal people. Help us to be followers of Jesus in our daily lives. Amen.
You might also want to close with the memory verse or have kids tell someone they would like to pray a healing prayer for.
TEACHER PREP IN ADVANCE:
1. Preview video and have it at right place for this particular story.
2. Figure out how popcorn machine works and how you want to handle making popcorn (ahead of time, with kids help, have kids watching and smelling, etc.) and handing out popcorn.
3. Write opening prayer or get one you like.
4. Decide how you want to present the bible lesson and practice whatever method you choose. Practice telling the story and get any props you might wish to use (nothing to elaborate for props!)
5. Write questions for discussion. Be sure to include both fact recall questions and thinking questions. Be prepared to answer questions kids might have. For example, why was the girl sick? Why didnt they take her to a doctor? Why did Jesus stop to speak with the woman when he was in a hurry to reach the girl before she died?
6. Decide what you want to use to mark kids journals. This sticker/stamp/item is to help them remember what they saw, did, learned in your workshop to help them at journal writing at the end of the day. It is NOT to be a craft they do, just a small item you have for them to place in their Daily Journal to encourage them to respond to what they have experienced.
7. Decide how you want to close. Have prayer written - are you going to read it, have kids read it together, one kid read, etc. What if you have extra time? Are there other activities you could do? (develop a cross word puzzle about story, do word search using words from story, replay part of the video to help kids answer hard questions, etc.
*Video - Miracles of Jesus from Nest Entertainment (can order on Internet for 19.95 + shipping)
*Item for journals
*Possible puzzle sheet or activity for extra time
Jesus Miracles, J. Nowak, Memorial Presbyterian Church, Xenia, OH