Scripture: Mathew 8:18-27
4. Jesus calls us to follow him
Memory Verse: “You, Lord, are the light that keeps me safe. I am not afraid of anyone. You protect me, and I have no fears.” Psalms 27:1
1. The class will listen to and act out the story of Jesus calling disciples and calming the storm.
2. The class will understand that Jesus calls us to follow him and having faith in Jesus will help us through difficult times.
Welcome and Introductions:
1. Greet the children and introduce yourself. Wear your name-tag. Make sure the children are wearing name-tags. If not, ask the shepherd to supply a temporary badge. Remember you are interacting with a different group of students each week who may not know you.
purpose of this workshop. The story of Jesus calling disciples and calming a
storm at sea is a very exciting story. In this story Jesus recruits some new
disciples and they travel by boat across the
Help all children to find the reading Matthew -27 in their Bibles. Extra Bibles are with Apostles Playhouse supplies on the stage. Read the scripture to the children. Practice reading so you can read with feeling and emphasis (as you would a story to a young child). To liven things up you may even dress as a disciple who was on the boat and is remembering what happened.
The class will make a movie of Calming the Storm.
Actors needed: Jesus, several disciples (3 or more), storm makers (people to shake tarp to make waves, thunder makers, lightning makers), and narrator (can be workshop leader or shepherd).
Action: The narrator will guide the action. Let children think of and practice words they will say. The actions/words children perform are italicized. Be creative; add more action/words as desired. This is just a guide. Practice a few times then record your movie.
Calming the Storm performed by _______________ class
Narrator: Jesus had spent a long day teaching and preaching to a large crowd. He was very tired. Just as he was leaving two men approached him who wanted to be disciples and follow him.
Two disciples approach Jesus and ask to follow and help him. He replies that he would love to have their help but the work is hard and they won’t see their families much. (Let children select words, assist as needed.)
Narrator: Jesus selected some new followers to help him spread
the good news of God’s love. He then told his disciples that they were going to
take a boat ride across the
Jesus instructs disciples on their journey. Everyone gets into the boat.
Narrator: The water was calm and pleasant. The disciples begin to fish and talk. Everyone is happy. Jesus says he is tired and falls asleep in the boat.
Disciples fishing, Jesus napping.
Narrator: Suddenly the wind begins to blow, thunder and lightning strike and the waves become rough.
Storm makers shake the edges of tarp to make waves, thunder makers bang pots or cymbals, lightning makers flash lights or run around with cardboard lightening bolts.
Narrator: The disciples are afraid and call out to Jesus.
The disciples are afraid, cowering and clinging to one another. They cry out in fear and beg Jesus to help them.
Narrator: Jesus wakes up refreshed. He is not worried about the storm. He asks the disciples why they are afraid.
Jesus talks to disciples and calms them, tells them to have faith and believe in God.
Narrator: Then Jesus does a most amazing thing! He tells the storm to calm down and suddenly the wind and waves are smooth and the thunder and lightening go away. The disciples are amazed!
Disciples act awed and exclaim that Jesus is a most amazing man.
Narrator: This is when the disciples learn that Jesus is a very special teacher and that they can have faith in him.
After last practice prepare camera and tape. It helps to have an assistant who is familiar with the camera.
Equipment: camera, extension cord, tripod, blank VHS tape, TV/VCR
Camera & tripod is stored in the DCE’s office. TV/VCR in library. The video camera uses a VHS tape to record. This makes it easy to use as there is no messing with wires and TV hookups to view. After you have finished taping, you remove the tape from the camera and put it in the VCR for viewing on the TV. No special lighting is required. There is sufficient light for taping even in Apostles Playhouse.
1. Before the workshop: Set up the camera on the tripod. There is a screw in the tripod that fits into the base of the camera. Use the extension cord to make sure you have plenty of room to focus.
2. Turn the camera on (“Power” slide button on top of camera). Be sure that the plastic slide cover on top/rear of camera is closed. Position the camera so that it is in focus and at the right angle. Mark the spot with masking tape (optional but helpful). Put the camera on “standby” (toggle black button on side of camera). Leave the camera set up or just off to the side, ready for use when needed.
3. When ready to tape, position the camera. Take the camera off standby (toggle on side of camera) and hit record button (red button on right side of camera as you look in the viewfinder). Make sure the record light comes on in the viewfinder.
4. To stop recording, hit the thumb button again. Eject the tape from the camera.
5. To view the tape, put it in the TV/VCR, rewind and play.
6. A shepherd can be the camera person after all is set up. The shepherd can also eject the tape and get it ready to view in the TV/VCR.
At ask the shepherds to pass out the journals pages and pencils/markers.
Have papers printed with Now Showing: Calming the Storm starring Jesus and the Disciples (resembling a movie poster).
Tell children to pretend they are creating a movie poster advertisement for the movie they just created. Ask them to create a movie poster that will make people want to learn about Jesus and Calming of the Storm.
If there is not enough time they may take the “poster” with them to complete later. Display completed art in the Great Hall.
At ask the students to close their journals and sit quietly for prayer.
Prayer: (suggestion) Dear God, Thank you for Jesus who teaches us to have faith in your love and power. You are an awesome God! Amen
Tidy and Dismissal: Ask children to help tidy up. Place props on stage to be used for the following week.
Teacher preparation in advance:
1. Read the scripture passages and attend the Faith Quest Leaders Bible Study.
2. Prepare a closing prayer.
3. Check out the room before your first Sunday workshop so that you know where everything is located. The bin with supplies is located on the stage.
4. Journal pages will be given to you (copies already prepared) either at the Bible study or the first Sunday of your rotation.