Scripture:† Matthew 14:22-33
Memory Verse: ďChrist gives me the strength to face anything.Ē† Philippians 4:123 (CEV)
1. Jesus, as the son of God, is powerful.
2. Jesus gives us the power to do Godís work in the world.
3. Faith is believing God is with us.
4. If we focus on Jesus, our faith is strengthened.
1. Children will view the video The Story of Jesus and His Miracles.
2. Children will learn that by having faith they can do Godís work in the world.
3. Children will learn that God cares for us in many unexpected ways.
4. Children will learn that their beliefs make them strong.
Welcome and Introductions:
1. Greet the children and introduce yourself.† Wear your nametag. Make sure the children are wearing nametags. If not, ask the shepherd to supply a temporary badge. Remember you are interacting with a different group of students each week that may not know you.
2. Explain to the children that the purpose of this workshop is to accept and understand that is ok to follow Jesus and that we can trust him to take care of us.†
Read the Bible story. Encourage the children to use their Bibles in looking up verses.† You may want to ask the children to read or you may want to read the scripture yourself.† If a child does not want to read that is perfectly fine.† Be creative in giving suggestions for retelling the story in weeks 3-5 when the children are more familiar with the story. You may want to ask them what happened first, second, etc.
1. Show the video. Itís about 30 minutes long if it is cued after the beginning credits.
2. When the video is over turn the lights on.† The following questions are designed to make the children think about Jesus and the role he plays in building their faith.
Ask:† Why do you think Jesus prays and tells us to pray?† Answers will vary; focus on Jesus getting direction from God, by praying we too can get direction.
Ask:† Why do you believe that Jesus could walk on water?† Jesus is the son of God.† This gives him the power to do anything.
Ask:† What should we do when we need help?† Pray to God, ask for help from God, parents, teachers, friend, minister.
Ask:† If Jesus asked you to get in the boat, would you?† Answers will vary, but probe to find out why or why not.
At ask the shepherds to pass out the journal pages and pencils/markers. Suggestion: You may wish to give the children a sticker or some memento to paste on their journal page as a reminder of the story or activity.†
Remind them that the offering
from this rotation will go to the home
Suggested prompts for journal writing:† List one thing that you can do to help others (example since this is after the holidays, Family Ties gifts, etc.)† For grades 1 and 2, you may want to tell them to draw a picture of helping someone.
At ask the students to close their journals and sit quietly for prayer.
Prayer: Suggestion for the closing prayer.† Dear God, Thank you for hearing my prayers and helping me face my fears. Please help me to do your work in the world.† Amen.
Tidy and Dismissal: Ask children to help clean up popcorn before they leave Holywood.† Wait until after class to pile up the beanbag chairs. The kids tend to throw them. Wipe out popcorn machine thoroughly, do not use water.
Teacher preparation in advance:
1. Read the scripture passages and attend the Faith Quest Leaders Bible Study.
2. Prepare a closing prayer.
3. Check out the workshop room before your first Sunday so that you know where everything is located.
4. PRACTICE OPERATING THE POPCORN MACHINE.
∑ Video will be given to you at the Workshop Leadersí Bible Study.
∑ Journal pages will also be provided at the Bible study or the first Sunday of the rotation.
∑ Stickers if you want to put them on the journal pages.
The Story of Jesus and His Miracles, 1996, Sony Music Entertainment Inc. and Time-Life Video and Television; 1996 James R. Leininger, The Beginnerís Bible trademark, 1-800-257-3880.