Scripture:† Exodus chapters 6-12, with emphasis on Exodus 12:21-42.
Romans 8:39: Nothing in all creation can separate us from Godís love for us in Christ Jesus our Lord! (CEV)
∑ God remembers and keeps Godís promises
∑ God saved Godís people with a mighty hand
1. Children will view the video ďThe Prince of EgyptĒ. (Edited version)
2. Children will learn the background of the Moses story from the burning bush to the crossing of the Red Sea.
3. The children will appreciate Godís power and how God uses people to carry out Godís promises.
Welcome and Introductions:
1. Greet the children and introduce yourself.† Wear your name-tag.
2. The purpose of this workshop is to learn the background events of Moses and the Passover.
Today we are going to learn about the rescue of the Israelite people from slavery in Egypt. The video begins with Moses going to the burning bush where God tells Moses what he is to do.† God sends Moses to Egypt to convince Pharaoh to let the Israelite people go. God gives Moses certain power and sends plagues to demonstrate to everyone Godís mighty power. The final plague came with the Angel of Death who ďpassed overĒ Israelite homes that were marked with the blood of a lamb. Finally, Pharaoh agrees to let the Israelite people go. Jewish people today celebrate Passover to remember Godís promise to rescue the Israelite people from slavery in Egypt. God promised to deliver the Jewish people from slavery and God used Moses to do it.
1. Show the movie. This video is approximately 40 minutes long. The segment begins at the point in the story where Moses sees the burning bush and runs to the end of the video. The video has been edited to keep within the time frame.
2. Distribute popcorn with help from Shepherds or volunteer children.
Why did God send Moses to rescue the Israelite people? (God saw the suffering of the Jewish people. God promised to deliver them out of slavery)
How many plagues did God use to show Godís mighty power? (10) Name the plagues. (River Nile turns to blood, frogs, gnats, flies, dead animals, sores, hailstones, locusts, darkness, Angel of Death ) What did God tell the Israelite people to do to save their babies from the Angel of Death (They put blood on the doorposts and above the door. The Angel of Death ďpassed overĒ these homes)
Ask the shepherds to pass out the journal sheets. God sees the suffering of people. God wants us to help those who suffer. What can you do to help others? Older Children: Print your first name down the page. Create an acrostic with your name. For each letter in your name, identify something you can do or say to help others. Younger children: draw a picture of yourself helping someone in your family.
†Prayer:† God, you are so mighty and powerful. You see the suffering of the poor. Help us see the needs of others so that we can do your work just as Moses helped the Israelites. Help us see ways to be kind, to think of the needs of others, to say something kind, to do something good without being asked. (List some of the ideas) God you are always with us. Nothing in all creation can separate us from Godís love for us in Christ Jesus our Lord! Amen.
Teacher preparation in advance:
1. Read the scripture passages and attend the Faith Quest Leaders Bible Study
2. Check out the room before your first Sunday workshop so that you know where everything is located.
3. Preview the video and have it cued to the correct starting.
4. Practice operating the popcorn machine.
∑ The Prince of Egypt, Dreamworks Pictures. Dreamworks Home Entertainment.