February 6 –March 6, 2005
Scripture: Matthew 26:31-35 and 57-75
“All of us have sinned and fallen short of the God’s glory.” Romans 3:23 (CEV)
Offering: One Great Hour of Sharing
1. Children will view the video Larry-Boy! & the Fib from Outer Space.
2. Children will discuss what makes someone not want to tell the truth, what happens when we lie, how to recover from lying, and compare two instances of this from the Bible story and from the video.
Welcome and Introductions:
1. Greet the children and introduce yourself. Wear your nametag. Make sure the children are wearing nametags. If not, ask the shepherd to supply a temporary badge. Remember you are interacting with a different group of students each week that may not know you.
2. Explain to the children that the purpose of this workshop is to understand that Peter learned to tell the truth even when he was scared and that we can too.
Read the Bible story using the CEV. Ask whether anyone knows what a “denial” is. In Peter’s case, he denied he knew Jesus. This means that Peter lied and said he did not know Jesus. Tell them to focus on Peter as you read the story. Encourage the children to open their Bibles to Matthew 26:31 and follow along. Tell them when you are moving to Matthew 26:57. In weeks 3-5 when the children are more familiar with the story, you can just summarize the story or read the passage as you did in the early weeks.
1. Show the video. It’s 22 minutes long if cued to after Bob and Larry (Tomato and Cucumber) talk and the real story begins and stopped after this story but before Bob and Larry come back on.
2. When the video is over, turn the lights on.
Discussion: (feel free to add any questions you may think of)
After the video and the discussion, if there is time shepherds can pass out the journal pages and pencils/markers.
Suggested prompts for journal writing include asking the child to write about or draw their favorite part of the video.
At 10:45 ask the students to close their journals and sit quietly for prayer.
Prayer: Dear God, Thank you that you have always told us the truth. Thank you that long ago you taught Peter to tell the truth about Jesus so that even today people still are telling the truth about Jesus. We pray in the name of our savior, Jesus. Amen.
Tidy and Dismissal: Ask children to help clean up popcorn before they leave Holywood. Wait until after children leave to pile up the beanbag chairs—don’t enlist their help as they tend to throw them. Wipe out popcorn machine thoroughly, do not use water. Feel free to clean the machine during the movie.
Teacher preparation in advance:
1. Read the scripture passages and attend the Faith Quest Leaders Bible Study.
2. Prepare a closing prayer for your lesson.
3. Pray for God to help you teach this lesson and fill you with patience and a gentle spirit to share with the children.
4. Check out the workshop room before your first Sunday so that you know where everything is located.
5. PRACTICE OPERATING THE POPCORN MACHINE.
· The video will be given to you at the Workshop Leaders’ Bible Study.
· Journal pages will also be provided at the Bible study or the first Sunday of the rotation.
Lori Houck, Kirk Faith Quest Bible Study Leader
VeggieTales, Vol. 8 Larry-Boy! & the Fib From Outer
Space! A Lesson in Telling the Truth
VHS (1997). Big Idea Productions.