April 18 –May 16, 2004
Scripture: Matthew 25:14-30 NRSV
“Each of you has been blessed with one of God’s many wonderful gifts to be used in the service of others. So use your gift well.” 1 Peter 4:10 CEV
1. Children will view the video Mother Teresa – Seeing the Face of Jesus. The video, through addressing the life of Mother Teresa from a child until the time of her death, does an amazing job at addressing the concepts.
2. Reinforce the concepts through discussion.
Welcome and Introductions:
1. Greet the children and introduce yourself. Wear your nametag. Make sure the children are wearing nametags. If not, ask the shepherd to supply a temporary badge. Remember you are interacting with a different group of students each week that may not know you.
2. Explain to the children that the purpose of this workshop is to learn about how we can use our special God-given gifts to serve God and others.
Read the Bible story. Encourage the children to use their Bibles in looking up verses. You may want to ask the children to read or you may want to read the scripture yourself. If a child does not want to read that is perfectly fine. Be creative in giving suggestions for retelling the story in weeks 3-5 when the children are more familiar with the story. You may want to ask them what happened first, second, etc.
1. Show the video. It’s about 35 minutes long if it is cued after the beginning credits.
2. When the video is over turn the lights on.
3. Discussion Questions (feel free to add any you may think of)
At 10:35 a.m. ask the shepherds to pass out the journal pages and pencils/markers. Suggestion: You may wish to give the children a sticker or some memento to paste on their journal page as a reminder of the story or activity.
Remind them that the offering
from this rotation will go to the New Vision Home for orphans in
Suggested prompts for journal writing include asking the child to write about an activity he/she participates in, e.g., pennies for hunger, canned food for the food bank, coats for children, singing in the children’s choir, etc. You may want to ask the first and second graders to draw a picture of something they do with other people to help them.
At 10:45 ask the students to close their journals and sit quietly for prayer.
Prayer: Suggestion for the closing prayer. Dear God, Thank you for our many unique talents. Please help us to us our talents to serve others each day. In your name we pray. Amen.
Tidy and Dismissal: Ask children to help clean up popcorn before they leave Holywood. Wait until after class to pile up the beanbag chairs. The kids tend to throw them. Wipe out popcorn machine thoroughly, do not use water.
Teacher preparation in advance:
1. Read the scripture passages and attend the Faith Quest Leaders Bible Study.
2. Prepare a closing prayer.
3. Check out the workshop room before your first Sunday so that you know where everything is located.
4. PRACTICE OPERATING THE POPCORN MACHINE.
· Video will be given to you at the Workshop Leaders’ Bible Study.
· Journal pages will also be provided at the Bible study or the first Sunday of the rotation.
· Stickers if you want to put them on the journal pages.
Mother Teresa, Seeing the Face of Jesus video 1998 Morning Light Media,