October 10 –November 7, 2004
Scripture: Luke 15:1-10
And God said, “I will look for those that are lost and bring back the ones that wonder off.” Ezekiel 34:16 (CEV)
1. Children will view the video Mr. Henry’s Wild & Wacky 7- Jesus Died for Me? All About Salvation. The video features Frank Peretti, author of Christian children’s adventure books, as the wacky “tinkerer” Mr. Henry. The children visit with Mr. Henry and his cast of a fish, moose head and robot and other unusual housemates (including the off-stage voice of Mrs. Henry) as he is trying to make a special cake for Mrs. Henry. The concept of salvation is presented, along with an unusual re-enactment of the stories of the lost sheep and lost coin.
2. Reinforce the concepts through discussion.
Welcome and Introductions:
1. Greet the children and introduce yourself. Wear your nametag. Make sure the children are wearing nametags. If not, ask the shepherd to supply a temporary badge. Remember you are interacting with a different group of students each week that may not know you.
2. Explain to the children that the purpose of this workshop is to learn about how God cares about all of his children and tries to bring all who are lost back to him.
Read the Bible story. Encourage the children to use their Bibles in looking up verses. You may want to ask the children to read or you may want to read the scripture yourself. If a child does not want to read that is perfectly fine. Be creative in giving suggestions for retelling the story in weeks 3-5 when the children are more familiar with the story. You may want to ask them what happened first, second, etc.
1. Show the video. It’s 33 minutes long if it is cued after the previews and the “Steve Gilreath Television” credit.
2. When the video is over turn the lights on.
3. The video has three different question/review periods, but the treatment of the Lost Sheep and Lost Coin is minimal, so the suggested discussion questions focus on that.
4. Discussion Questions (feel free to add any you may think of)
After the video and the discussion, if there is time shepherds can pass out the journal pages and pencils/markers. Suggestion: You may wish to give the children a sticker or some memento to paste on their journal page as a reminder of the story or activity.
Suggested prompts for journal writing include asking the child to write about or draw their favorite part of the video.
At 10:45 ask the students to close their journals and sit quietly for prayer.
Prayer: Suggestion for the closing prayer. Dear God, Thank you for your gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. Thank you that when we are lost you come looking for us. In your name we pray. Amen.
Tidy and Dismissal: Ask children to help clean up popcorn before they leave Holywood. Wait until after class to pile up the beanbag chairs. The kids tend to throw them. Wipe out popcorn machine thoroughly, do not use water.
Teacher preparation in advance:
1. Read the scripture passages and attend the Faith Quest Leaders Bible Study.
2. Prepare a closing prayer.
3. Check out the workshop room before your first Sunday so that you know where everything is located.
4. PRACTICE OPERATING THE POPCORN MACHINE.
· Video will be given to you at the Workshop Leaders’ Bible Study.
· Journal pages will also be provided at the Bible study or the first Sunday of the rotation.
· Stickers if you want to put them on the journal pages.
Lori Houck, Kirk Faith Quest Bible Study Leader
Mr. Henry’s Wild & Wacky 7- Jesus Died for
Me? All About Salvation VHS format video. Copyright 2002 by Frank Peretti.
Used under authorization by Tommy Nelson. ISBN 1400301017. Available through
www.Amazom.com. Also visit www.TommyNelson.com for more