Parable of the Lost Sheep and Coin
October 10- November 7, 2004
Scripture: Luke 15:1-10
Memory Verse: “And God said, “I will look for those that are lost and bring back the ones that wonder off.” Ezekiel 34:16 (CEV)
Ø God and the heavenly host rejoice when we (the lost) return to him
Ø God calls us to celebrate with him when the lost are found
Ø God is the shepherd and we are the sheep.
Ø God doesn’t give up on anyone, so we shouldn’t either.
In the Good News Lesson we hope to:
Welcome and Introductions:
Wear your nametag. Make sure the children are wearing nametags. If not, ask the shepherd to supply a temporary badge. Remember you are interacting with a different group of students each week that may not know you. Remember to that if you need the shepherds to assist you in any way do not be afraid to ask, that is why they are present with the class.
You will meet in the Bread of Life Café (kitchen in
2. Have the Children to stand and say the memory verse. (You may want to have the verse on poster board.)
3. Ask them to bow their heads for prayer. [Dear Lord, who is with us everywhere we go, we thank you for your love. We pray this morning you will help us to better understand your word. Please forgive us when we make fun of others that may be different from us. Amen.]
4. Have them open their Bibles to the Scripture. Ask the children to volunteer/assist in reading the scriptures. It is not necessary to have all children to read. If you want to read and have them to follow along, that is your choice. Luke 15:1-10
Distribute the journal page for the students to work on, if there is time. Make sure there are copies for each child. By 10:45 close with a prayer.
Prepare a closing prayer. Ask the children if they have any concerns they would like to share.
Tidy and Dismissal: Ask children to help tidy up. Ask them to assist in cleaning up the kitchen.
Teacher preparation in advance:
1. Read the scripture passages and attend the Faith Quest Leaders Bible Study.
2. Prepare a closing prayer for your lesson.
Suggested Supply List
Ø Angel Food Cake (does not crumble like other cakes) you will need enough for each child to have a square about 4X4 inches.
Ø White frosting – at least 2 cans per class
Ø Flaked coconut and/or a substitute for “sheep” fur – white and a few brown sprinkles (Some children may be allergic to coconut, so please make sure you identify this food as coconut and tell the children that they do not have to use it if they are allergic.)
Ø Pretzel sticks– four for each child’s sheep legs
Ø Plastic knives
Ø Green paper to represent the pasture
Ø Poster paper with Bible memory verse
Lori Houck, Kirk Faith Quest Bible Study Leader
Children’s Illustrated Bible by Parker and Dyson
Bible Stories and Craft Projects – Group Publishing 1995