Scripture: Genesis 50:15-21, Genesis 37, Genesis 45:4-15
Memory Verse: “Don’t let evil defeat you, but defeat evil with good.” Romans 12:21 CEV
1. Children will view the
2. Children will discuss how God works for good in Joseph’s life and how God used Joseph and his brothers to accomplish his will of caring for the world during a famine. Lastly, the children will see that evil deeds (the brothers’ action of selling Joseph) cannot stop God’s will from being accomplished.
Welcome and Introductions:
1. Greet the children and introduce yourself. Wear your nametag. Make sure the children are wearing nametags. If not, ask the shepherd to supply a temporary badge. Remember you are interacting with a different group of students each week that may not know you.
workshop leader: This movie covers
Joseph’s life starting in Canaan with a hungry and thirsty Jacob and remaining
sons during the famine deciding to go to
3. Tell the children to look and listen for things that show God is present. Also, look for Joseph’s love and concern for his father’s health as he keeps asking about him.
1. Show the video. It is 30 minutes long.
2. Distribute the popcorn with help from the Shepherds. (Popcorn should be already made.)
3. Sample review questions (you may think of other questions).
Who is in control of this situation? God
How did God work for good in this situation? Children may mention instances they have
learned in other rotations, such as God being with Joseph, always making him
prosper, such as in Pontiphar’s household at first and in the jail when he ends
up second in charge. The main thing
covered in this rotation is Joseph being able to save food during the good
years to sell to all who need it during the famine. Also, the famine brings the brothers to
Was it evil for Joseph’s brothers to sell him into slavery? Yes
Did God still use their evil deed for good? Yes, God used Joseph in
Were the brothers sorry for selling Joseph into slavery? Yes
Joseph was trying to see whether his brothers had changed. In this video, how did they show that they had really changed? In jail, they said they had sinned when they sold Joseph, many said they were sorry, one offered to take Benjamin’s place instead of taking the opportunity to get rid of another favored son.
How did Joseph show that he could accept Benjamin’s favored position with his father? Gave him extra portions saying that if Benjamin were favored in his father’s household, he would be favored in Joseph’s household.
Provide journal activity sheets if time allows. If it is time to dismiss class have prayer time and allow children to take activity sheets with them.
At 10:45 ask the students to close their journals and sit quietly for prayer.
Prayer suggestion: Thank you God for always working for good, as you did in the lives of Joseph and his family. Let us be aware of and thank you for the good you do in our lives. Amen
Tidy and Dismissal: Ask children to help clean up popcorn before they leave Holywood. Wait until after class to pile up the beanbag chairs. The kids tend to throw them. Wipe out popcorn machine thoroughly, do not use water.
Teacher preparation in advance:
1. Read the scripture passages and attend the Faith Quest Leaders Bible Study.
2. Prepare a closing prayer.
· Journal pages
· Curriculum writers notes prepared by Lori Houck January 16, 2005