Scripture: Luke 1:26-38 and 2: 1-7
Memory Verse: "A child has been born for us. We have been given a son who will be our ruler. His name will be Wonderful Advisor, Mighty God, Eternal Father and Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:6 (CEV)
q God brings new hope into the world through Jesus Christ.
q Jesus came into the world to fulfill God’s plan.
q The children will learn from scripture that an angel was God’s messenger and that through faith Mary believed what she was told.
q The children will discuss what their name means, and understand that Jesus’ name means more than Son of God.
q The children will gain a better understanding of how to celebrate their individual being as well as why we celebrate Christmas.
Welcome and Introductions:
1. Greet the children and introduce yourself. Wear your nametag. Make sure the children are wearing nametags. If not, ask the shepherd to supply a temporary nametag. Remember you are interacting with a different group of students each week that may not know you.
2. Explain the purpose of this workshop. This morning we are going to celebrate Christmas by baking angel cookies. But first we are going to read about and discuss the message the angel brought Mary regarding the birth of Jesus. We are also going to find out what our names mean.
q Have the Children to stand and say the memory verse. Have the verse posted on chart board.
q Ask them to bow their heads for prayer.
q Have them to sit and open their Bibles to the Scripture. Luke 1:26-38 and 2: 1-7 Ask who would like to read, or have them to each read a verse. At the end – you might want to provide a sticker to the children who brought their own Bible.
Have the children to join you in prayer.
Prayer: Suggestions for the closing prayer –
Oh Great Father in Heaven, who sent us your son, we praise your name and say aloud how thankful we are for Jesus. As we learn more about Jesus and how he wants us to live, let us remember that He is our Prince of Peace and we know where our peace comes from knowing Jesus. Thank you for our time together today and may we show peace to our family and friends everyday. Amen
Tidy and Dismissal: Ask children to help tidy up. You might ask the children to help wash up the cooking utensils and help put away the items.
Teacher preparation in advance:
1. Read the scripture passages and attend the Faith Quest Leaders Bible Study.
2. You will need to check out a book from the Public Library on names. I looked and there are books in the library on what one’s name means. If you have a book of names, or Baby Name books you could use that. You might be able to find on-line a list of names and what they mean.
3. You will need to purchase/acquire cookie dough, angel cookie cutters in order for the children to make angel shaped cookies. If you prefer the children could make boxes and decorate them as gifts, and or they could make trees and stars. Since the messenger was an angel, it would be great to have angel shaped cookies. You will need to decide what type of cookie decorations and icings you want to provide for them, once the cookies are baked.
4. Prepare a closing prayer, or use the one provided.
5. Check out the kitchen to make sure what you need is ready and a go! You might want to bring items from home to make the baking experience more pleasant.
6. Please read the scriptures. Be prepared to explain the text in your own words.
Suggested Supply List
· Stickers if you want to reward those who brought their Bible, or can site the memory verse
· Sugar Cookie dough, decorations, and other supplies you deem necessary for baking cookies
· What My Name Means book
· Memory Verse on Chart Board
Lori Houck’s Bible Study Lessons